If you want to send me a note, ask a question, or request a presentation, fill out the contact form below. I will reply as soon as possible.
SCHOOL VISIT INFORMATION
I love to do school visits, both in-person and virtually! Below are the presentations I currently offer, but I am happy to tailor a presentation to fit the needs and interests of a classroom or group. School visits can also include workshop sessions.
- Animal Adaptations (45 minutes/grades k-4): Animals have all kinds of amazing and bizarre adaptations. This presentation features a read-aloud of one of the 5 books in my picture book science series about animal adaptations, as well as a discussion about the variety of amazing adaptations animals have. NOTE: This presentation can be done in 5 separate, shorter virtual presentations; each visit would focus on a different book in the series and include ongoing, independent student investigation of animal adaptations.
- The Fort (45 minutes/grades K-4): This session includes a read aloud from my newest fiction picture book, The Fort, and then brainstorming, drawing, and writing time, to lead kids through the process of writing a story.
- The Art of Nonfiction Research and Writing (45 minutes/grades 2-8): This presentation is about researching and writing nonfiction, and how to make the process both fun and engaging.
PRESENTATIONS FOR ADULTS
- Writing for the Education Market (45-60 minutes): Learn about the innovative opportunities the education market has for freelance authors and teachers. Participants will learn how to query and write for educational publishers, including generating writing samples targeted to specific audiences.
- Adventure in Research (45-60 minutes): Research can be quite daunting for both students and adults. But it doesn’t need to be! The trick is learning how to embrace the task and streamline the process, especially in the digital age. This session will also explore finding the “hook” in nonfiction topics to engage readers.
- Creating a Writing Life (45-60 minutes): Becoming a writer is a journey that takes time and patience. Get ideas about how to enhance your writing life both online and in person, to improve your efficiency, and learn to embrace the process. The session also explores the pros and cons of social media, as well as how to get the most out of conferences, critique groups, webinars, and workshops.
- In-Person: Base fee is $250 for the first presentation (group size up to 30), $125 for each additional session or workshop. Travel fees may apply if distance is over 30 miles from Boulder.
- Virtual: Base fee is $75. Animal adaptations 5-presentation series is $200 (class size limit 30).
Fill out the contact form and we can get something in the works!