Today is world oceans day – a day to pause, to celebrate Earth’s oceans, and remember how important it is to protect them. A few facts:
- Life on Earth began in the ocean.
- The oceans cover 70% of the planet.
- 97% of all water on Earth is in the ocean.
- The oceans regulate our weather and climate.
- Microorganisms in the ocean produce over 50% of the oxygen in the atmosphere.
- Many medicines have their origins in the ocean.
- The oceans provide billions of pounds of food every year.
Not only that, the biodiversity in the ocean is incredible and it is all connected. From dolphins to coral reefs, and blue whales to anglerfish, each species plays an important role.
So take a moment today (or any day) to celebrate the ocean and its biodiversity…and maybe explore the oceans a little more.